Sunday, February 22, 2009

GROUNDHOG DAY REVISITED

Remember the movie Groundhog Day? It's about a guy who wakes up to the same newscast and the same experiences every day. Well, my life has been similar to that movie for quite a while now, at least it seems that way. I guess I'm just ready for the movie to end.
It has been 9 days since my last treatment and well, to be perfectly honest, it looks like the doctors were right again. You know I hate it when that happens, even though they aren't completely right yet, the effects of the radiation seem to keep on happening. At about 2pm every afternoon, my face gets flushed and I get hot and then cold just like when I was having treatments. I was told that this could last 2 to 3 weeks. My mouth and throat actually got worse last week, however, my general feeling is much better. The nausea has pretty much disappeared, my neck is healing up nicely and my weight is holding steady. I have to take in about 90 ozs. of fluid each day just to stay hydrated, that's a whole lot more than I'm use to drinking, but it's working. That should improve once the mucosas subsides. Let's just say, that's when I have to spit a lot. I feel really fortunate that I have been able to sleep really good. All in all, I'm looking forward to this next week. Things are looking up.

Quick story: Last Thursday Kat baked some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies for Donovan's 30Th birthday, and did they smell gooood. So I had this great idea because I really wanted to just taste a cookie. Since I can't eat cookies, or any thing else right now, I thought if I just ground the cookie up in the blender with some milk I would be able to taste COOKIE. Well, it worked, kind of. I poured a small portion of the concoction into a glass and I took a swallow and it tasted like cookie, but it burned like crazy and I had to quickly wash it down with plain water, but it was worth it.
I wake up each morning to this wonderful song by Crystal Lewis. It's entitled "Lord I Believe In You." It's the best part of my Groundhog Day experience. This is the part that has really been ministering to me.

Lord I believe in you, I’ll always believe in you
Though I can’t see you with my eyes,
Deep in my heart your presence I find
Lord I believe in you, and I’ll keep my trust in you
Let the whole world say what they may
No one can take this joy away
Lord I believe.

Thank you everyone for your constant prayers and support. There is a light beaming at the end of the tunnel. He is my constant companion.

Lots of love and hugs,

Old Jer

1 comment:

  1. Oh miss you Jerr, and I am always praying for you. I love that song, I need to sing it more often! Loves from China!

    ReplyDelete