Sunday, February 1, 2009

SUPERBOWL SUNDAY


That's right, it's Superbowl Sunday and most everyone is gearing up for the big game. I was thinking how these two teams are preparing for battle. They have a head coach, assistant coaches, defensive coordinators, offensive coordinators and of course their loyal fans, all preparing for the game of games.

Guess what? I have been preparing for my game of games and I haven't been alone, I've got my team. However, I look at this battle in a little different light than the Superbowl players do. I have ten treatments remaining, that's two weeks and I'm heading into the fourth quarter and I believe that this is the time for my team to put on the full armor of God, for our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms, however, we call it cancer. My head coach is the Lord. He gives me strength and hope and it's in him where I put my trust. I have many assistant coaches, numeral uno being my girlfriend, wife and best friend, the myriad of doctors prescribing the treatments that I've been receiving and all the nurses and technicians that have been administering the various treatments. My defensive coordinators are hard to beat. They start with the belt of truth firmly buckled around my waist, the breastplate of righteousness is in place, my feet have been fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this I've taken up the shield of faith that can extinguish the flaming arrows of the evil one. I have also added the helmet of salvation.

Who is the offensive coordinator? you ask. It's the sword of the Spirit, which is the mighty word of God, on which I firmly stand.

All of you, of course, are the loyal fans. Thank you for being there and thank you for your awesome prayers and support that have definitely helped sustain Kat and I through this journey.


As I begin this final phase of treatment, the doc wants to start the i.v. chemo up again on Tues. That would mean two more chemo treatments and ten radiation treatments. Pray for my mouth and throat as their condition will be paramount in completing the treatment as scheduled. My weight has been holding at about 177, so it's looking good. I haven't been too regular with this whole situation, but things have been a whole lot better since I drank some smooth move tea. That stuff really works. My neck looks like I've been out in the sun just a little too much, but hey, I've done that to myself before in the past. Tanya says that I'm now a true redneck.

Luke 12:7 says; Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Well, the numbers have decreased just a little on my head. I just thought that I'd do the Lord a favor and make it a little easier for Him to count the hairs on my head, because there are a few less in certain areas. The radiation has cut a swath across the back of my neck, so I now support a back of the head comb over. It's really not too bad, considering the alternative, and a whole lot better than Donald Trump's. Yes, we did hear from Joshua and he's having the time of his life in China with his best friend, and yes, the picture of boyfriend/girlfriend is from today.

God Bless,

Old Jer

8 comments:

  1. You Jer are truly getting out Gods message to all! Thank you
    for showing the rest of us how dependent you are on Your Head coach.
    Please don't stop sharing with all of us.
    I will put on the full armor.
    God bless your girl friend Kat.
    Love to both, Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boyfriend, I just want you to know how proud I am of you!! I see you daily quietly endure this most difficult treatment. You and Jesus are my heroes--we trust together and continue to pray to the One who is in control. I will always be there for you and consider it an honor. To the end with Jesus!! Girlfriend xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dare I say, that this present trial has brought out a gift in you: WRITING!
    Jer- you are an awesome writer....clever....folksy....fun to read and peppered with raw transparency, humor, and in-the-trenches wisdom and insight. THANK YOU for sharing this journey with us through your blog. YOU ARE A BLESSING TO US in the midst of this!!! (How did that happen?! I thought we were supposed to be blessing you!)
    I hope when these treatments are a long, distant memory that you will continue to write...and even blog! I look forward to your updates....and of course--- trust wholly our God for your complete recovery!
    Your fans in the grandstands!
    Gerry and Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore you two. You both give me a lot of hope (and joy too with your humor) in this sin filled world. Thanks for standing firm in all situations.
    God is always good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's now 1:30 am on Feb 4th, my spiritual birthday and what better way to begin such an awesome holiday then to read of your faith. (grad school and sanitizing bottles keep me up late some nights) Anyway, Jer I have said before, you are the best foster dad I could ever hope for and your love for Christ and ability to witness of his goodness by just being you, are qualities that I hope I have at your age. Well really at your age I hope I can remember how to tie my shoes let alone be a warrior of Christ. But none the less, you are not only an inspiration to me as a daughter and a Christian but as a mommy I pray daily that I can be a light in Twila's life that shines a s brightly as you and your girlfriend. Speaking of girlfriend, I am proud of you Kat. I cannot imagine the battle you face with boyfriend going through cancer but your optimism and trust in the Lord has remained strong and not once have i heard you express anything other than good things in all of this. Your strength and trust in the faithfulness of God to work for the good of those hes loves is amazing. Thank you both for reminding me how to behave in times of trial. For God says that if you are not faithful with the little things you will not be faithful with the great ones (or something close to that). Your faithful devotion to God in this has spoken volumes to my soul and I try harder to be faithful and trusting in my small trials of life so that I can strengthen my spiritual foundation and plant tiny seeds of faith in my baby girl. I love you both more than I have or could ever tell you. - Erika

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like I said, I think you have a book in you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kat and YoungJer!

    We finally made it to the World Famous YoungJer Blogspot!

    I enjoyed your comments on Ephesians 6 and am inspired by your faith and trust in the Lord. In the midst of your trial, you are a beacon and powerful witness!

    If I may, I wanted to add in something from verse 18, which, of course, is our Heavy Artillery: "Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perserverance and supplication for all saints..."

    Obviously, you've had some Heavy Artillery support from your ground forces [sorry to mix war metaphors with the existing sports ones... :)]!!!

    We, too, pray a covering and blessing over you and ask in the name of Yeshua for continued healing to your body, especially your mouth and throat - even radical unexplainable healing that would leave the doctors scratching their heads and the Lord glorified!

    Much love, blessings, and shalom....Adam and Paula

    ReplyDelete