Saturday, February 7, 2009

TEAR DUCT MALFUNCTION

Can you believe this, Friday the 13th is my last day of treatment. Good news for me and bad luck for cancer. Dr Wagner did put me back on chemo last Tues. and it came through as usual and I felt terrible for a couple of days, but no break in treatment. The mouth is doing OK, although it feels like there's a current running through it now. Anybody need a jump start?

I believe it will make it 5 more days. My neck is peeling now, but it is also holding up well. Thank you for your prayers concerning these issues. You won't believe this, I know I can't believe it, but I am typing this with gloves on. Why am I wearing gloves, you ask? Darn good question. The truth is my hands have been freezing from the effects of the chemo, some neuro word.

I do have a strange sensation happening. I think that it is a side effect of all the drugs and radiation that they’re giving me. This one wasn’t mentioned on any of the, longer than a roll of Charmin, lists of side effects that they have given me. I think its TEAR DUCT MALFUNCTION. It seems that at any inopportune time my eyes begin to leak. When I think about people I miss, they leak. When I talk to people I love, they leak. When I talk to people I don’t even know, they leak. When I think about how wonderful my wife is, they leak. When I think about all my steadfast support, they leak. Will this side effect clear up after treatment? I don’t have an answer for that one, but I hope it improves, because sometimes it’s downright embarrassing, if you know what I mean.

I’m reminded in Luke chapter 7 of the time when Jesus was invited to the house of one of the Pharisees for dinner, when a woman who had led a sinful life found out that Jesus was going to be there. She brought an alabaster jar of perfume, and as she stood behind at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them. Of course, she was ostracized by the Pharisee because she was a sinner. What the Pharisee didn’t know was that Jesus would use this opportune time to compare his treatment of Jesus to hers. The Pharisee didn’t even welcome Jesus with a kiss or wash his feet. Then Jesus told them, “Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven---for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little.” Then Jesus said to her, “ Your sins are forgiven.”
These are not tears of sorrow, they are tears of gratitude, joy and thankfulness. Perhaps these tears aren’t an embarrassment after all.

Thank you Roger and Jim for the continued rides to treatment. You guys are the awesomest. I know, my girlfriend appreciates the much needed break. Thank you everyone for all the prayers and continued support.

Love and hugs,

Old Jer

10 comments:

  1. And this exceptional sharing is why we love you. Thank you for your honesty. Speeding toward V-Day with you.
    Love, Noelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Jer and Kat!!! Hearing about you is exactly what I needed right since Josh left today... Sobs...

    MISS AND LOVE YOU!!!
    Putting on the armor of my Father with you!

    Love Brugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three more days Jer!!! You have shown heroic character (glory to Jesus) and your attitude is so uplifting in the midst of trial, I can't tell you what an encouragement that is to me. I love reading your blog..you better keep it up after treatment. I look forward to checking it.
    Love and prayers,
    Christine and family

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hallelujah! Our God is good----

    Lamentations 3:22-24 (New Living Translation)
    22 The faithful love of the Lord never ends
    His mercies never cease.
    23 Great is his faithfulness;
    his mercies begin afresh each morning.
    24 I say to myself, “The Lord is my inheritance;
    therefore, I will hope in him!”

    Jer-
    You have shown us how to respond to our God of faithful love and unceasing mercy. Seeing your response has been a great encouragement to all who have witnessed it!

    Only two more mornings before V-day----and God's fresh mercies will be there to greet you on each of them. The end is in sight and you have finished well. We love you so and are trusting the God in whom we place our hope!

    Love-
    Gerry and Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you write. Had no idea you were so good with words. What a gift. My love and prayers are with you daily and I believe victory is nigh thee Ole Jer. Much love and lots of hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Jer, You lift me up when I read your update. God has given
    you a wonderful ministry during your treatment. Blessings to you and
    Kat. So glad that you have such a support system around you.
    Love, JAN

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning Gee! :o)
    Today and tomorrow and you're all done!!
    It was so great to talk to you yesterday!
    I loved this blog! It's ok to be teary! You are much loved!
    Praying for strength and joy as you endure these last two days of treatment! Hugs and kisses to you our beloved GEEEE!!!!
    Love, Aubrey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Last day!!!! So happy for you. You made it!
    Love,
    Christine and family

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did it! You did it! I'm so happy you did it! Oh by the way I'm singing this little jingle.Lucky for you, you can't hear it. have a wonderful, awesome, terrific weekend. Love you buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the tear duc malfunction tooo..specially after reading your heart splatter all over this blog...I read Jesus's heart here...alive and well...Oh Lord continue to use Jer..in HIS HUMILITY and willingNESS to give you Glory at all times....continue to be lifted up..I KNOW YO are using HIM in unseen and unknown ways...in the lives of people who don't know you LORD....that others would come to call on you Lord...Increase Geee and Kata's Faith at this time...I know they are weary....I have that leak problem tooo..they sat it comes with age...but I think you are right it comes with LOVING HIM and a GREATER UNDERSTANDING OF HIS LOVE....HIS UNASHAMED...TRUE LOVE FOR US AND OTHERS.....
    TRULY AMAZING....
    Miss yOU...
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete